March 25, 2010

Breaking into Alcatraz

It's funny how the days just roll by and I'm suddenly a good week behind on this thing.  I still want to report my first triathlon ever because the first one is unique in so many ways.  That said, my 2nd tri ever was my first sprint tri ever (and a reverse at that) and there are some more "new" things I learned, including some successes.

But those have to wait for several reasons:  First, a bunch of my Twitter and DM acquaintances ran the LA Marathon and they owned the spotlight, deservedly so.  The best overall (mostly) objective recap, including video, was given by @LARunr http://larunner.blogspot.com/.  I say "mostly" because he, Billy, ran with another blogger http://www.chicrunner.com/ who struggled beginning at the halfway point and he turned his focus on seeing her through all 26.2 miles.  A true friend who portrayed one of the characteristics that I love about runners and triathletes...unconditional camaraderie.  Check out their blogs as they both have a way with words, letting you experience all 26 miles, including those observing and supporting.

Second, an unexpected email came in Wednesday morning and took my focus for the entire day.  It was from the Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon people.  I was on the lottery waitlist apparently and they are holding a spot for me.  I forgot that I even put myself in the lottery because I didn't originally get chosen (I had no triathlons under my belt at the time I applied)  I had no idea there was a wait list.  I immediately checked the date (May 2nd) and my calendar (no trials) and opened up the web site to start learning about it.  Here's a glimpse from escapefromalcatraztriathlon.com:

  • The Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon begins with an 8:00 am plunge from the San Francisco Belle into the icy cold water (55 deg.) adjacent to Alcatraz Island.
  • It is quite a rush when you take the leap, like a paratrooper from a plane, for the 1.5 mile swim.
  • Triathletes face the risks of strong currents, treacherous 55 degree waters and two ton sea lions.
  • WARM-UP RUN (there's actually a warm-up run after the freezing water before we bike)

    Upon exiting the water at the Marina Green Beach, triathletes proceed to the first transition area where they will switch to running shoes and warm clothing for the 1 mile warm-up run to the Marina Green.


  • It's a hilly and windy S.F. 18 mi. bike ride -------->


  • On tired legs, the triathletes will begin the 8 mile run to Baker Beach Battery


  • They will encounter the deep sand of Baker Beach through the turn around point until they reach the dreaded Equinox Sand Ladder (400 steps up the cliff). This experience will drain the legs of even the best professionals, as there is nothing like it anywhere in the sport of triathlon. More than one triathlete has used the hand cable to help them walk up the stairs.
The race is 39 days away.  39 days to figure out if I can handle a 1.5 mi. swim in 55 deg. ocean water, with a side current, through the waters once touted as uncrossable.  That's why they put a prison on The Rock.  Because anyone who escaped would die in the waters.  They say nobody ever escaped in the 29-year history that Alcatraz was open, but they obviously forgot about...
Clint Eastwood
(check out this 1979 classic)
  
 This race is like Kona IronMan.  You have to be the best of the best to get in.  Or, you have to get in by lottery, or celebrity invite.  There are 2,000 participants, including those choosing to do the relay. 

I quickly tweeted to my pals, "Should I do it?"  The runners all stayed quiet.  They'll talk running all day, but bring up triathlons and they scatter like cockroaches when you turn the light on.  Thankfully, my tri buddies and non-endurance buddies chimed in:  "How can you not do it?!" "You HAVE to do it."  They were right.  One of my biz partners said, "there's no downside to doing it."  He was referring to the 1-hour cap on the swim...take too long and they pick you up on the boat and dump you off on the shore to.....continue the race!  Yep, no downside.

Still, as is my customary approach, I researched everything.  I called my surfing friend in NY and asked about handling the cold water.  I researched the web on advice, tricks, etc.  Found out that Vaseline is an insulator.  I emailed the Alcatraz people....booties are permitted!  The swim was doable!  But in 1 hour?  I did half the distance in low 60s water in 26 minutes (inc. a 4 minute adjusting period).  So arguably, I can easily beat the 1 hour limit if I don't freeze up.  This is important.  I can't go into the race thinking, "who cares if I don't complete the swim...they'll just pick me up."  No.  I have to believe I can do it in the time allotted. 

Then it suddenly occurred to me.  This isn't about doing the triathlon with the hilly bike ride and the 400 sand-ladder steps.  This is about doing what nobody but Frank Morris and his cronies allegedly did (except that wimpy guy who couldn't jump high enough to reach the plumbing pipe to get out).  This is about surviving the swim from Alcatraz to the mainland.  A bucket list item if I ever heard one. 
So by the end of the day, I committed mentally.  I booked my hotel.  Tomorrow I will plunk down the 400 clams to take my spot.  I will buy a full wetsuit, a neoprene hood, and booties (they make some with a big toe section).  I will train in cooooold water.  I will rub vaseline on my hands and face on race day, and I will make the swim from the boat to the shore in under an hour.  And, then, I will gladly do a warm-up mile run to my waiting bike and I will kill it on the hills because that's what I do.  Then I will slip on my running shoes --sans gravel-- and will run 8 hilly miles with my new and improved step and stride, including 400 sand-ladder steps without pulling on the hand cable. 

And I will cross the finish line knowing that I broke into Alcatraz (courtesy of the lottery) simply to break out and tell about it. 

~Bill

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shoutout! :) I know, I was a mess out there, without Billy I would probably still be out there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet - appreciate the mention Bill. For me, it was all about having fun and I would've had more with her than without. Simple as that.

    Good luck at Alcatraz - that race sounds gnarly...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, hope I didn't paint the wrong picture. I was trying to highlight the human element of you putting her above everything else. I agree that it was probably more fun with her. You guys have a lot of fun shooting video.

    ReplyDelete